Omar has more than 30 years of experience in financial and commercial transactions, specializing in Business Law, in the negotiation and structuring of contracts, associations, M&As representing both domestic and foreign companies.
He has participated in the incorporation of financial and investment products in the debt and capital markets in Mexico and the United States, designed various schemes for the control and management of transactional and corporate risks. He is a pioneer in Mexico in the implementation of corporate governance structures in high-profile family owned businesses.
He has served as Director and Secretary of the Board of Directors of several companies, both traded in the stock exchange and private, and as arbitrator in organizations such as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) as well as a Foreign Legal Consultant authorized by the Law Society of British Columbia and a member of the Mexican Bar Association and the American Bar Association and of the WAOML (World Association of Mining Lawyeres).
Omar holds a law degree from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and an M.Phil. from the University of Oxford. He read for a Ph.D. in law specializing in Economic Regulation at the University of Warwick. Also, he has participated as a speaker and professor at various higher education institutions including El Colegio de México.
- Represented GEAR Alimentos and RUBE Alimentos, companies specialized in the production, packing and distribution of tomatoes for export to the U.S. market, in the negotiation process for the sale of their assets to Agrofibra, reaching a value of $20 million dollars.
- Represented Olarena Hospitality Group in the negotiations with Mextenis to hold Los Cabos Open Tennis Tournament at Cabo Sports Complex
- Represented Semtech Corporation in the Mexican portion of the sale of its subsidiary, Semtech Corpus Christi Corporation, to Micross for US$30 million.
- Advised Sotheby’s Concierge Auctions, the world renowned luxury auction company, in the recent Real Estate deals carried out by Sotheby’s Real Estate auctions branch: Sotheby’s Concierge Auctions (SCA).
- Advised Proyectos ATB, S.A. de C.V., a major real estate developer based in the city of Puebla, with the review, restructuring and renegotiation of several real estate and commercial agreements with current tenants, and independent contractors in connection to Talanta´s real estate housing project in the city of Puebla of approximately 3,000 square meters.
- Advised BigWhite, Puerto Morelos Aventura, and Daxi Family Group, in respect to a flagship property development project involving investment of approximately USD30 million in a location where the client group has more than 2,000 adjacent acres in additional land reserve.
- Refinancing operation for $50 million dollars for the subsidiary of a Canadian public mining company.
- Restructuring operation for $900 million pesos for a public pharmaceutical company.
- Selling operation of the controlling position in a Mexican industrial auction company to one of the largest industrial auction companies in the United States.
- Sale operation of a purified water bottling company to a US subsidiary of a European multinational.
- Debt issuance transaction for $15 million dollars for a public housing development company.
Learn more about Omar´s mining experience in our Mining brochure.
Ph.D. Candidate, Economic Regulation, School of Law of the University of Warwick, England, 1997
M.Phil. Law - Judicial Behavior Oxford, St. Antony's College, The University of Oxford, England, 1994
Diploma in Western History, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Mexico, 1991
Law degree, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico, 1991