Legal Tech means being at the edge of regulatory matters. Emerging technologies imply a change in various industries by completely modifying traditional ways of doing business.
We have a team specialized in e-commerce, financial technologies, and data protection. Some of our clients are e-commerce and Fintech platforms, investment funds and startups specialized in technology and companies that provide technological solutions, among others.
Since 2020, our Fintech practice is ranked by Chambers and Partners as one of the leading Mexican firms in the FinTech sector:
“A respected name in the Mexican FinTech sector, they approach the market from its strong position in the M&A and IP fields. It also advises companies on acquiring regulatory status with the CNBV as FinTech entities, drawing on its lawyers' interdisciplinary expertise to provide across-the-board advisory services. Developing their position as thought leaders in the space, the firm's FinTech practitioners speak on panels on such topics as the development of legal issues around blockchain. They are very active in the space, on the regulatory side, and on the digitalization of financial services. They assisted peer-to-peer loans and investments platform Doopla on its authorization request before the CNBV to operate as a Financial Technology Institution.”
Fintech and Tech Platforms
Our team advises fintech platforms, doing business in Mexico in regulatory matters, including fintech regulations, anti-money laundering and data privacy.
Our clients include domestic and international entrepreneurs, including:
- Represented Doopla, a peer-to-peer crowdfunding platform in obtaining its authorization from the Securities and Banking Commission to operate as a Fintech and in regulatory matters such as data privacy and antimony laundering.
- Represented Briq.mx, a peer-to-peer crowdfunding platform for real estate developments in Mexico City.
- Represented LenMi on regulatroy matters. Lenmi is a lending platform with payroll discount focused on company employees.
We have broad experience representing investment firms and public and private companies in transactions involving technology:
- Represented Ideas y Capital, a Mexican entrepreneurial capital fund in various seed capital and follow-on investments, including Boletia (is a lean startup and comprehensive platform for online ticket sales, registration services, organization logistics, and event promotion), Dvdendo (a startup and micro-investment platform aimed for Hispanics in the United States and that currently has more than 100,000 users), Econduce (a last-mile mobility platform), Nimblr (an artificial intelligence assistant for medical appointments), Amigo Travel Group (a travel agency platform) and Turing Enterprises (a developer of software and information technologies and provides remote advice to other companies).
- Represented Redwood Ventures in structuring mezzanine convertible investments in Billpocket (a platform for SMEs and individuals to receive payments with credit and debit card through a smartphone) and Ares Materials (a developer of transparent polymer materials for mobile, wearable and embedded electronics).
- Advised Palantir Technologies with the design of the legal strategy to be followed by the Mexican subsidiary in preparation of the IPO of Palantir in the US.
- Advised Rotamundos, a digital hotel chain focused on rural and cultural tourism in Mexico and Latin America, in the structuring of a pre-seed and seed financing round.
- Advised GC Capital in the negotiation with Amigo Travel Group, its creditors and investors to agree on the terms and conditions of the capitalization of its investment for $ 10.5 million pesos. Similarly, we advised them in the negotiation with SkyAlert to restructure the terms and conditions of a pair of Convertible Notes with a value of 12.5 million pesos.
- Advised Data Migration Resources (“DMR”) in the cross-border acquisition of substantially all assets of Dabarc Systems including the acquisition of a high-tech asset, the key data management and migration software developed by Dabarc.
- Represented Syntax in the acquisition of Freudenberg IT Mexico (FIT), which is a global provider of cloud services and information technology provider for medium-sized companies.
- Represented Crowdfunder in a growth investment by Ideas y Capital. Crowdfunder was a pioneer in the United States in crowdfunding platforms.
- Represented Axon in a growth investment in Mercadoni. Axon is an international investment, corporate development and consulting firm and Mercadoni is a startup that delivers consumer products from various stores through the internet.
- Represented Wayra in more than fifteen entrepreneurial capital investments in technology projects developed by entrepreneurs during WayraWeek, such as Tangerine Lab and Ku-Bo Financiero. Wy Telecom is the Telefónica Group's entrepreneurial capital fund.
We advise companies providing different technological solutions in regulatory and contractual matters, including:
- Syniverse Advise on regulatory matters. Syniverse provides technology and business services to telecommunications companies and multinational companies.
- People Soft Representation in all its software licensing and contractual matters.
- Cognizant Representation in contractual matters. Cognizant develops technological solutions for companies.
- 3D Systems, Inc Advised and assisted with its operations in Mexico, which include corporate and in-house matters pertaining its Mexican subsidiary, 3D Systems, S.A. de C.V. and in compliance of corporate obligations.
Other technology companies we represent:
- Avid Technology